Dodd Elementary School
6423 Stagecoach Road
Little Rock AR 72204
Fax: 501-447-4301 w
At David O. Dodd Elementary we offer an exciting and nurturing environment that is conducive to student learning. We provide innovative technology programs and an extraordinary literacy program. Your child will learn how to use desktop publishing to create projects, use the latest software to enhance learning, as well as access and evaluate Internet sources to research topics. Our literacy program includes small group instruction in literacy and a dedicated Reading Specialist. We use investigations strategies with the recent adoption of our new math and science textbooks. We also use the Every Day Counts Calendar Math program.
School Calendar and Events:
Features and Programs:
- Before and after school CARE Program
- Accelerated Reader Program
- AR Kids Read
- Reading is Fundamental (RIF)
- First in Math
- MyON reading program
- Technology integration
- Gifted and Talented Program
- Four Year Old (Pre-K) Program & P3 Three Year Old Program
- Bi-lingual Instructional Aide
- Rosetta Stone English language immersion program
- Choir and Band Program
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- Literacy Team Collaboration
- Technology Team Collaboration
- Levelized Books for Individual Instruction
- Writer's Workshop
- Step Up to Writing for 3rd-5th grades
- Computers in every classroom
- Thin Client Computer Lab
- SmartBoard Technology
- 1:1 Chromebook program for 4th and 5th graders
- Wireless Internet Access thoughout the school
- On-Line access to databases, encyclopedias and more from the media center, computer lab, classrooms, and homes with Internet access.
- Kagan Cooperative Learning integration throughout the school
- monthly Literacy Promotion Events (including Book Character Day and Read Across America)
- Artistry in the Rock
- pARTnership with the Rooker Library branch (art partnership)
Past Awards and Honors
- First Place in LRSD Quiz Bowl Finals
- EDS Technology Grant Recipient
- Public Education Foundation Grant Recipient
- Enhancing Education Through Technology Grant Recipient
- RIF Federal Matching Grant Recipient
- Small Site State Champion in the 2002
- RIF Community Reading Challenge
- Teacher awards include: Lions Club Teacher Recognition Award, ViPS Elementary Teacher of the Year, U.S. Department of Education Teacher Quality Award
- Little Rock Teacher of the Year recipient
- Eleven of our teachers currently have a Master's degree.
- At least two of our educators are certified reading teachers.
- Six of our educators have over 20 years of experience.
- Two teachers were recently accepted into the AR Impact Leadership Program through U of A.
- We currently have one National Board certified teacher and one candidate.
- ELLA trained teachers in Pre Kindergarten through 1st grade.
- Effective Literacy Trained teachers in 2nd-4th grade.
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) trained staff at each grade level.
- Dodd educators have received training in Kagan strategies and structures.
The school Dodd was named for David O. Dodd, a young man who was born in 1846, in Victoria, Texas. Dodd's family moved to Little Rock, in 1861. The following year, Dodd's father joined the Confederate Army, while he went to work for a telegraph office at the age of sixteen. In 1863, Union soldiers occupied Little Rock, Dodd's family was moved to Camden.
He came back to handle some family business and on the way back to Camden Dodd was stopped by Union officers. He was arrested because he was found with papers and a memo book containing telegraph code characters of the Federal positions, numbers, and armament. He was tried and convicted and on January 31, 1863, David O. Dodd, was executed. The 17-year old had been told by General Fredrick Steele that if he told where he got the information he would be set free. Instead he died.
David O. Dodd Elementary School stands on land that was once a part of Washington Dodd's Farm. There is a stone marker on the school grounds, believed to be the place where he was captured. It was erected by the David O. Dodd Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Pine Bluff, Arkansas, and is dedicated to "Arkansas' Boy Hero of the War Between the States."
Partners in Education:
- Stagecoach Grocery & Deli
- Transamerica Worksite Marketing
- Life Skills for Youth
- Oak Park Church
- Metropolitan National Bank - Colonel Glenn Branch
- Castle on Stagecoach
- Central AR Library System (CALS)- Otter Creek Branch
- Love Your School
- ChickFilA (Outlets of Little Rock)